Volunteering Opportunities In Scouts
Are you interested in joining our team of 60+ adult volunteers in our District?
Our current vacancies are listed below. Please use the contact details below if you're interested in a role.
- Volunteer in our Scout Shop for an hour and a half per week
- With as little as 2 hours every 3 months you could become a part of a Group Executive Committee
- Click here if you're looking to join our leadership team.
- Do you have the qualities to lead a scout group?
The main income to our District is through our District Shop, raising thousands for our cause. To make an enquiry about this role please email - email@example.com and our District Commissioner will reply.
Our Scout and Girlguide Shop offers flexible opportunities for volunteers.
The physical shop is at the Stenton Jubilee Community Centre, Dunrobin Road, Glenrothes. It is open Tuesday and Friday night 6pm-7:30pm and Saturdays 9am to 4pm.
You can join the team as a retail assistant in the shop where you will work with an experienced volunteer. You can volunteer for as little as 1.5 hours per week.
Essential Qualities: Good communication skills, basic maths, basic IT skills, well presented.
Desirable Qualities: Experience in retail, knowledge of scout and girlguide merchandise.
Online Retail Assistant
We also have online outlets at thescoutshop.co.uk, thegirlguideshop.co.uk and on ebay. You will be joining a small team who run the online business. To make an enquiry about this role please email - firstname.lastname@example.org and our District Commissioner will reply.
Role A: Processing online orders i.e. packaging and posting sales to customers
Role B: Updating the online stores and ebay listings.
Knowledge and experience: Role A: Attention to detail
Role B: Good IT skills e.g. experience in updating websites or listing on ebay
Time required: Both roles are very flexible i.e. the role will fit easily into your free time you can post items to customers or update our listings any time of the day, with an hour being enough to complete a task.
Group Executive Member
If working with young people in a group isn't appealing but you want to contribute to your local scout group there are great opportunities in the group exec. committee. Time required is minimal, with prior experience in either how a committee works or in scouting being advantageous but not essential. Group committees have plenty of other volunteers to help you in your role.
If you would like more information please email email@example.com
Leader / Asst Leader
Help in the running of a Section (beavers, cubs, scouts or explorers). In particular, working with other volunteers in the section in planning and delivery of activities, with the help of Young Leaders and other volunteers. Tasks for which the Section Leader is responsible may be delegated to others in the Section, including other Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders and Section Assistants.
Please see the full scout leader job description.
Group Scout Leader
The Group Scout Leader (GSL) is a key role which has responsibility for ensuring that adult leaders in a specific scout group are fully supported in their work to provide a excellent programme to the young people. The role also requires the right individual to:
- Provide leadership of Scouting in the Group
- Develop Scouting in the Group and the District
- Promote and maintain the policies of The Scout Association
- Positively manage and support adults
- Develop relationships in the local community e.g. with the community council and other voluntary organisations
- Ensuring the group engages with the rest of the District e.g. joining in events and supporting groups during difficult times.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate -
• Excellent communication skills
• The ability to lead and manage a team
• Ability to deliver as promised
• Ability to motivate and enthuse others
• Scouting experience at a level which supports the above
To discuss volunteering as a GSL please contact Andrew on 07728259635.
An application form can be found HERE